The Boy Died in My Alley

Gwendolyn Brooks


The Boy died in my alley
Without my Having Known.
Policeman said, next morning,
“Apparently died Alone.”

“You heard a shot?” Policeman said.
Shots I hear and Shots I hear.
I never see the Dead.
The Shot that killed him yes I heard
As I heard the Thousand shots before;
Careening tinnily down the nights
Across my years and arteries.

Policeman pounded on my door.
“Who is it?” “Police!” Policeman yelled.
“A Boy was dying in your alley.
A Boy is dead, and in your alley.
And have you known this Boy before”
I have known this boy before.

I have known this Boy before, who
Ornaments my alley.
I never saw his face at all.
I never saw his future fall.
But I have known this Boy.

I have always heard him deal with death.
I have always heard the shout, the volley.
I have closed my heart-ears late and early.
And I have killed him ever.

I joined the Wild and killed him
With knowledgeable unknowing.
I saw him Crossed. And Seeing, I did not take him down.

He cried not only “Father!”
But “Mother!”
Sister!
Brother.”
The cry climbed up the alley.
It went up to the wind.
It hung upon the heaven
For a long
Stretch-strain of Moment.

The red floor of my alley
Is a special speech to me.